Casselton is the home of five Governors – William L. Guy, the 26th Governor of North Dakota (1961-1973), George A. Sinner, the 29th Governor of North Dakota (1985-1992), William Langer, the 17th and 21st Governor of North Dakota (1933-1934, 1937-1939), Andrew H. Burke, the second Governor of North Dakota (1891-1893), and Jack Dalrymple, the 32nd Governor of North Dakota (2010-present).
Casselton had its origin in 1873 when the Northern Pacific Railway sent Mike Smith to plant cottonwood and willow trees in the area to serve as windbreaks along their right-of-way.
In 1876, the railroad established a station called Casstown, after George Cass, the railroad president. A post office was put in place in Aug. 8, 1876, when the name Casselton was designated.
During the 1870s, George Cass and Peter Cheney traded their railroad stock for 10,000 acres of land near Casselton and decided to develop this acquisition as one large farm, rather than dividing the land into small tracts. They employed Oliver Dalrymple, of southern Minnesota, to head the operation. The venture became highly successful and proved that the prairie was very suitable for agriculture.
The Great Northern Railway had an additional influence in the growth of Casselton. Several branches radiated from the city. The railroad excavated a reservoir to supply water for its steam engines. In 1906, the railway constructed a round house and service center which operated until 1920.
The most recent census figures place Casselton's population at over 1,800. Because of its location in relation to the Fargo-Moorhead area, many residents prefer the “small town” environment while being employed elsewhere.